Saturday, November 14, 2015

A Brief (Not) Summary of Mock Trial

Mock Trial is basically my life, besides NaNoWriMo and school. A lot of people give me a completely lost look when we try to have a decent conversation because of this.

"So do you play any sports?"
"...no."
"Oh okay. Do you do any theatre?
"Not recently. I've been a bit preoccupied."
"What do you do then?
"Mock Trial." O-o
For those of you who don't know mock trial, this is what Wikipedia says:
mock trial is an act or imitation trial. Mock trials simulate lower-court trials. Attorneys preparing for a real trial might use a mock trial consisting of volunteers as role players to test theories or experiment with each other. Mock trial is also the name of an extracurricular program in which students participate in rehearsed trials to learn about the legal system in a competitive manner. Interscholastic mock trials take place on all levels including primary schoolmiddle schoolhigh schoolcollege, and law school. Mock trial is often taught in conjunction with a course in Trial Advocacy or takes place as an after school enrichment activity.
Yeah...tad confused still? Lemme break it down:
There are usually 15 people on a team. 6 of those are people who dress up in suits and pretend to be attorneys. 6 of those are people who dress up in suits and pretend to be victims, experts, and basically play-pretend. Your team tells a wonderful (usually) murder story. Then, the other team tries to make it look like you sit on a throne of lies. 
See? I think that would be a much better Wikipedia entry. 
THIS, my friends, is Empire Mock Trial International Competition logo. Teams are invited (usually about 40) from all around the world. Whales, Ireland, Australia, U.S.A, and Canada were just a few off the top of my head. It's so much fun, but really intense. It was one of the most fun things I've ever done in my life. 
This to my right is a selfie they take at Empire before it starts. It's soo fun. Sorry, I'll stop going on about it. But first...
So this picture down below is possible the most fun park I've ever played on. It doesn't look like much, but my goodness, it's the greatest thing since veggie chips. Our team spent hours playing on it. Chech it out. It's the Brooklyn Bridge Pier 2 Exercise Park. If you ever get the chance, GO. 
-Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment